Entries Posted in "November 2004"

Page 4 of 6

Column's Up
November 15, 2004

I forgot, column's up.

Weapons of Brash Destruction
(You've probably already read as it is a re-vamped/snipped version of my "Tools of the 21st Century")

Not blogging for an entire week only breeds pent up fits of wordiness and opinionations (is that a word?). This is the calm before my storm. A quick quiz...which of the following did not happen while I was on hiatus:

a. (removed)
b. I both met and was subjected to the rhetoric of the president of the Seattle chapter of the NAACP for 4+ hours
c. I started a new weblog
d. I cried
e. I found great solace in the passing of a well-known terrorist
f. I got hit by 800+ comments via SPAM
g. I missed you
h. None of the above

Posted by Ambra in Blogging | Link to This Entry | Comments { 12 }
Bookmark and Share

Time In

Greetings Earthlings...I'm back. I must say, I missed this whole part of my life quite a bit. Thank you everyone who sent me encouragement and emails. Life's problems and turmoil are truly the best training ground and development of character and dependence on God. I'll be responding to all email today.

I shall be posting today (I promise)...check back

Posted by Ambra in Blogging | Link to This Entry | Comments { 9 }
Bookmark and Share

Time-Out
November 7, 2004

It's recently occurred to me that I can't remember the last time I stayed up until three o'clock in the morning to talk to God. I can however, recall the last time I stayed up late writing a post.

The weight of life, responsibility, and some recent happenings have left me in a place where I need to step back for much of this week.

I should be back in a few days...prayers are solicited.

Posted by Ambra in Life | Link to This Entry | Comments { 21 }
Bookmark and Share

Column's Up

Where Have All the Young Ones Gone?

Posted by Ambra in Politics | Link to This Entry | Comments { 4 }
Bookmark and Share

In My World
November 6, 2004

Late this last summer, I was in rural Pennsylvania to attend a friend's wedding. I'm quite familiar with Pennsylvania as I have traveled there since I was a child. However, I don't recall ever being there during an election year. All you people who reported getting your Bush/Cheney signs stolen, I believe I know their whereabouts. They're in rural Pennsylvania, that's where. If Kerry won PA, it wasn't any thanks to the central counties, that's for sure. These people shut down the entire city for the first day of hunting season. Yes, it's that serious.

At the wedding reception, I was what my grandfather would call, "the only fly in the buttermilk". Yes rural Pennsylvania is white, very white, but I'm from Seattle, so it's nothing I wasn't used to. Why I am telling you all this, I don't know as it has nothing to do with my story.

At one point during the reception, there was planned one of those sentimenal-type, bring out the tissue box 'cause grandma's gonna have a breakdown, video presentations about the "couple". The audio visual equipment wasn't working correctly and we were all left staring at a blue screen. Suddenly, out of nowhere, this caped crusader with a Mac Powerbook stepped in to save the day.

Who's that guy? I blurted out.

"Oh, him? He works for Pixar," the girl sitting next to me replied.

You mean Pixar as in Finding Nemo Pixar? Are you SERIOUS?

"Yes. That Pixar."

Okay I can't breathe. Can I touch the hem of his garment?

Filed under "Companies We Should Fear", I officially add: Pixar Animation Studios, because quite simply, they just dominate. Period. And they do so even despite their tendency to partner with the ailing and immoral "Disney". My bit of advice would be to sever that tie as soon as possible.

Go see "The Incredibles". It's the first film in quite some time that I can recommend without reservation. And don't get me started on all the deepness I sucked out of that movie. I'm good for that too.

In other news, I finally secured a post office box. The demands of Nykola.com have forced me to do so. For anyone that may consider sending any non-powdery substance filled correspondence, you may do so to:

Nykola
1122 East Pike Street #1486
Seattle, WA 98122-3932

Posted by Ambra in Life | Link to This Entry | Comments { 12 }
Bookmark and Share

Excuse me while I commence to dry heaving (and laughing)
November 5, 2004

Someone just emailed me this closed Auction from ebay:

"As part of the "Vote or Die!" campaign, Sean "P.Diddy" Combs has offered the opportunity for one lucky bidder to join him on Election Day as he excersises his right to vote."
Some sucker took it for $255 $3061.11. Don't tell me it's hard to make money in America.

Posted by Ambra in Politics | Link to This Entry | Comments { 4 }
Bookmark and Share

Linkology

The Youth Flop
Jonah Goldberg surprisingly brings forth some good sense on his analysis of the youth vote, "Don't Believe the Hype (2004 Remix)". I do take issue with his assertion that within hip-hop, there's such a thing as "dressing like a black person", but that's another conversation and not the point of the article.

Kids on Cocaine
The New York Daily News reports of a man who allegedly stashed cocaine in his toddler's coat. I agree with Avery, who argues this behavior warrants a beating. For the parent, not the child. And might I suggest Michael Fay style? Thank God for his mercy.

Ray Charles the Womanizer
The National Review published one of the better reviews I've read on the move "Ray". The review gives the film (and Jamie Foxx especially) its accolades as it is most definitely deserving, but does not brush over the fact that Ray Charles left quite a legacy, good and bad, including 12 children born out of wedlock. Oh that that the generations to come would not follow in the footsteps of celebrydom which endorses people cheating on their spouses.

New Tupac Album
Talk about a stronghold. Tupac comes out of the grave once again, releasing a new album on December 14th, which was produced by everyone's favorite rebellionist, Eminem, and features many other rappers. I suspect Tupac and Eminem are kindred spirits. Oh did I mention I got an email from a Tupacian last week telling me how ignorant I was for critizing Tupac's music? Funny stuff.

Newsweek's 'How He Did It' Issue
Newsweek's issue chronicling various aspects of both the Bush and Kerry campaigns should be on news stands November 15. Of the few gems promised in the issue, a desperate Bill Clinton apparently urged Kerry to back bans on gay marriage in an effort to pick up swing voters in Red states. Blogger Oliver Willis took issue with this, even though he thinks Clinton was the "best president we've had over the last 20-30 years or so". Oy vey.

Prison Rape is Rampant
Fellow hellion and youth columnist for the Henderson Dispatch, Jason Alston has written on the very serious issue of prison rape and the government's failure to address it in federal prisons. After his paper refused to print an article on such a controversial subject, blogger David Anderson at Grupo-Utopia (hmph, Utopia...apparently he's 'in search of it' but I regret to inform that it ain't gonna happen) agreed to post the article. I'm helping to spread the word.

Posted by Ambra in Blogging | Link to This Entry | Comments { 6 }
Bookmark and Share

The Recklessness of Sean Combs

Perhaps few recall Combs's early assertion that we needed to "Get Bush's [insert Biblical term for donkey] out of office". And soon after, commenced his bi-partisan "Vote or Die" and "Citizen Change" campaigns. Hogwash.

But apparently, Combs admits it. In an MTV interview, he had a brush with common sense:

"I was a little reckless with my comments, to be honest...I realized I relinquished my power too early after I educated myself. I shouldn't have said that until I felt that there was somebody that could be better for my people. ... I learned a lot in this process. I learned that my power could be used better. Instead of attacking Bush, it would be better to light a flame under young Americans and let them make the decisions."
Attacking Bush, whether directly or underhandedly, proved to be unwise as the "anybody but Bush" cry wasn't enough to motivate much of anyone, let alone the younger generation.

On another note, a bit of venting on two points. Number one, the P. Diddy mohawk has got to go. I am not a violent person, but when I see this picture, I want to throw objects. Number two, the fact that "we", myself included, refer to a 35-year-old man as "P. Diddy" or "Puff Daddy" or "Puffy" (or "Rufus" for that matter). He's a grown man, and shall herein be called by a grown person's name: Sean Combs.

Posted by Ambra in Politics | Link to This Entry | Comments { 14 }
Bookmark and Share

Friday's Missive: Movies that changed your life

I promise this is the end of the "change your life" series. I'm becoming Oprah up in here. Now all we need are tissues and a commercial break (and a really good hairstylist).

As far as movies are concerned, I think much of what America has been producing on screen is whole lot of hype, wrapped up in some flowery messages and stuffed with cliches and predictability. Then when I see movies coming out wherein the protaganist steals the Declaration of Independence because it has a treasure map on the back, I can't help but think it's all about the box office. I mean, why else would "Dumb & Dumber" have a SEQUEL?

As for older flicks, I find a great deal of depth in some of them, and a whole lot of fallacy in a lot of them. Today however, I think we stand on the shoulders of innovative filmmakers and the past shouldn't be forgotten.

Unfortunately, the rare gems of good film-making often slip through the cracks as the masses demand for more mind-numbing, thoughtless films. We're all to blame really. I often wish people would realize that good box office figures should be the direct result of a very good film, not a sloppy, special effects nightmare.

I am a fairly emotional person, but I don't tend to cry during movies. From what I recall, the first time I remember crying during a movie was...don't laugh, "The Nutty Professor". Yes, the Eddie Murphy remake. Incredibly lame, I know. But in my defense, I may have been in a funk of sorts, hormonal, who knows. I'm not too fond of watching fat people being made fun of, so I cried. This does not however, preclude me from making fun of Michael Moore. He is fair game because he has the nerve to lecture the country on the evils overconsumption.

Anyway, on with what's good. Call me crazy, but I'm one of those people that believes that most mass media outlets can be used tremendously to affect the masses. As far as I'm concerned, we "ain't seen nothin yet". So when I consider what films had a great impact on my life personally, I consider anything and everything that's ever tweaked my perspective or attitude, enraged me, bothered me, motivated me, or even touched me. I'll name just a few and update this list later:

• The Color Purple
  • The Matrix
  • The Lion King
  • Schindler's List
  • Imitations of Life
  • Fantasia
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Antwone Fisher
  • The Passion of the Christ
  • Bamboozled
  • Tap
I'll add more later. What are yours?

Posted by Ambra in Life | Link to This Entry | Comments { 35 }
Bookmark and Share

Ratherisms
November 4, 2004

Here are a few of Rather's best lines from election night coverage. Honest to goodness, I don't know how he rattles 'em off like this. The man has an aresnal of terribly hokey metaphors. Even more perplexing is how the other decrepits (read: old anchor people) keep a straight face on air:

• "His lead is as thin as turnip soup."
  • "This race is hotter than a Times Square Rolex."
  • "Bush is sweeping through the South like a big wheel through a cotton field."
  • "No question now that Kerry's rapidly reaching the point where he's got his back to the wall, his shirttails on fire and the bill collector's at the door."
  • "This presidential race has been crackling like a hickory fire for at least the last hour and a half."
  • "No one is saying that George Bush is not going to win the election, and if you had to bet the double-wide, you'd have to bet that he'd win."
  • "In southern states they beat him like a rented mule."
  • "We had a slight hitch in our giddy up, but we corrected that."
  • "The election is closer than Lassie and Timmy"
Hotter than a Times Sqaure Rolex? With metaphors and similies like that, it's official. Dan Rather should become a rapper. Now all he needs is a name. MC Rather? Better yet, how about Lil' Liar?

Posted by Ambra in Politics | Link to This Entry | Comments { 10 }